Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Filemaker + windows + printer (blog a good Idea)

This is a good Idea, Blogging any odd issue's and unconventional fix's... Here is one I came up with just the other day...


Problem: My Default printer is set in "FileMaker Pro" at first use; I need to change that printer without a re-install of FileMaker as I have many clients to do this on. I looked the web up and down and still got nowhere.. The answer may be out there but I couldn't find it. So I'm going to post my fix here...

The answer:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER + Software\FileMaker\FileMaker Pro\your version number of FM\Preferences


Make sure FileMaker is closed!
In the registry at the above location you will find a value called "Printer" delete it. Open the Printers and Faxes control panel and set your Default printer to the printer you wish FileMaker to use as default. Run FileMaker and test printing, the new printer should appear.

Deleting this reg key can be scripted easy enough too, So if you have many PC's to do .. you may want to make a little vbs script.

Cheers!
JD.

No comments: